The March of Time

Charlie ConnellyHello there, historical walking person. Most likely you've arrived here for two reasons. One, you're a church organist looking for the chords to Jerusalem, or two, you've been persuaded and cajoled by my book And Did Those Feet: Walking Through 2000 Years of British and Irish History to find out more about the routes I took.

Alas I can't help much with the former, unless you want the ukulele chords, but if it's the latter then, goshdarn and dagnabbit, you're in the right place.

You'll find details of all the routes I took and most of the places I stayed (the ones I can remember), as well as the OS maps you'll need to make the same journeys. If they're not here by the time you read this, then fear not, they're imminent.

If you're not here because of the book and you're not a church organist, you might well be interested in buying it to see what the fuss is all about. You can do that here. It's a great read, you're all in it, and I suffered selflessly so you don't have to. But you can, and it's something this site hopes to facilitate.

Pip pip for now.

Charlie

Wednesday 28 January 2009

Olaf The Dwarf, King of Man c1150


Ramsey - Crosby - Castletown

Ordance Survey Landranger map: 95

In mileage terms this was one of the less taxing walks; however it does involve a lot of climbing, something I'd not really had to deal with on the previous two. It's around twenty-five miles from Ramsey in the north of the island to Castletown in the south. It's doable in a day if you're an experienced walker, but I chose to do it in two. Which was still hard work, but then I had chosen to do it in January. Sane people do it in the summer.

This route is actually a 'proper' waymarked trail called The Millennium Way.

I stayed in a wonderful guesthouse tucked away at the end of a lane in Ramsey called The River House. Alas I didn't get the chance to see it in daylight, but it's a lovely place to stay.

From Crosby, just over halfway, I caught the bus up to St John's, the ancient site of the Manx parliament the Tynwald, and then up to the Glen Helen Inn, a curious but comfy hotel that appears to be in the middle of nowhere, but again I only saw it under cover of darkness.

At the end of the walk I was relieved to fall into the George Hotel in the gorgeous little town of Castletown, in full view of the castle on the site of Olaf's own residence of a millennium earlier.

A challenging walk in lots of ways, this one, but again, early January probably wasn't the best time of year to do it.